Tuesday, October 20, 2009

And so it begins...



9 months of pregnancy, 14 hours of labor, and 12 days of new motherhood, and here we are. Michael Lukens Peterson was born 12 days ago on Thursday, October 8, at 5:00 a.m. after what has to be described as the haziest day of my life. No one tells you that labor numbs your mind while it livens your body - waking up every different muscle and part of you that you knew existed, but had never given any thought to before.

And then - sweet relief. Sweet, blissful relief with a rush of adrenaline that lasted 36 hours for me. I couldn't sleep and didn't need to... I just kept looking to my left at slumbering Kevin and to my right at slumbering and quiet Michael and that was enough. I would even say that I only finally emerged from my drunken post-labor stupor a week after Michael came. Thanks to the tender nurturing care of my mom as Kevin and I figured out the first week of parenthood, I had a lot of help on the road to recovery. Who knew that one could feel so loved by someone running a vaccuum over the carpet or ironing Kevin's pants? "... the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Matthew 20:28)

So now here we are - hanging out and getting to know one another - thank you to all who have been so supportive and encouraging with love and food and words and texts and phone calls and emails and prayer. Kevin and I look forward to this journey of learning to love the Lord and each other more through the gift of Michael.

1 comment: